
I'm back from Kenya and am finding it very hard to put into words what I have experienced. I have been changed and I see the world just a bit differently. It seems the best that I can do to describe this trip and my experience on it, would be to share some of my journal entries.
Class 4: Monday, November 23, 2009
This afternoon was the last class before the trip. In between this class and the last one, I began to feel concerned that I am not at all prepared for this trip; not emotionally, spiritually, physically or cognitively. I have not bought any supplies, I have not sat with my thoughts, I have not prepared myself for what it is that I might see, and I have not researched nearly as much as I should about this country.
On the other hand, this is an experiential learning course, so maybe some of my anxieties about this are a little unwarranted as most of my learning will take place while in Kenya. Maybe I will always feel unprepared for trips like these, like I can always use more information. I suppose that this has been common in my work, this feeling of always wanting to know more or that I don’t know enough.
Also, something that has been on my mind is my role on this trip. Who will I connect with, what specific part of the trip will I be most interested in, essentially… what will be my specialty? It takes me a little bit of time to truly feel comfortable with new people, especially in groups. On this trip, I will be with a group probably 95% of the time. Even when I sleep, I will be sleeping next to someone that I don’t really even know. My hope, however, is that I can overcome feelings of being uncomfortable, challenge myself, and be an integral part of the team.
Here are some of the other concerns that I have been thinking about:
· Safety – according to the travel.gov website there has been some recent kidnappings of tourists for ransom.
· Will I be able to connect with team members on a deep level and will there be mutual learning from all team members?
· Will I have the ability to truly connect with the people in Kenya despite the language difficulties?
· I've wanted to go to Africa for a few years now and have wanted to be involved in international social work. My hope is that this trip will offer some insight into what kind of work I want to do, and offer a foundation for continued opportunities in Africa
· Lastly, I want this trip to impact me after I leave. Will it change my life’s paradigm and change the way I behave? I hope that I come out of this a little bit more knowledgeable, with more empathy, and with more compassion.
Okay… here we go....
-----------------------------
In reading back on this entry, it amazes me to think that all of my concerns were well taken care of of. Thank you to those who prayed for me and continued to keep me and the team in their thoughts.
My concerns were accounted for: We stayed safe. I was able to connect with team members on a very meaningful level, one of my highlights of the trip. I was able to form connections with community members and members of the African Network for Animal Welfare on a level that far exceeded any expectation... what a truly amazing people. I brought a Swahili book with me in which I used to continually challenge my language ability. I didn't learn a ton but learned enough to be able to connect with people. This trip most definitely laid a foundation for my international travel and work. I still don't know what that might look like, but I know this was the beginning.
Lastly, this trip absolutely changed my life's paradigm. I will be taking shorter showers, using less water, using more reusable items, being WAY more careful about using plastic bags, and will eat when I'm hungry and not because I can. I saw how these things effect others.
I hope that I never forget what I experienced on this trip. I know that my high will die down and that I will go back to normal life. I pray that I will not forget Africa when I go back to class, when I go back to work, and when I go back to my daily living. What a beautiful place. What a beautiful people.
More pictures and thoughts to come...
Glad you had a wonderful trip. I am back from Liberia 6 months now and it is still hard for me to put it in words! Have you heard the phrase from the Mocha Club- "I need Africa more than Africa needs me"? That is totally how I feel about it. I am going to Burkina Faso this Spring and I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteThat sits well with me as well. I've also learned the phrase "Africa lends itself to you after you're gone". Like you truly experience the greatness of the place when you come back to everyday life remembering all Africa's done for you. I truly believe that the 14 students were changed more than the people we met. It was amazing.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy that you get to back. Congratulations on your new edition. You guys are wonderful.