
A picture of Kibera, a slum that houses 1.5 million people within a 1 mile radius.

Children we met in the slum who were singing, "God blessed us for bringing you to us".

A little dog I saw walking in the slum. He was searching for food but it seemed inevitable that he would not find any.
Journal Entry: Day 2: Thursday, December 3, 2009
I don’t really know where to start…
At times this evening, I have been unable to breathe in response to experiencing Kibera, the 2nd largest slum in Africa.
Kibera houses 1.5 million people and does not discriminate on what type of people live within it. People of all ages, tribes, and walks of life have spent generations living in the very vicious cycle of poverty. Kibera accounts for less than 1 percent of Nairobi’s land but holds more than a quarter of its population. This slum was a piece of land that was given to Nubian solders (originally a tribe from Sudan) as a reward for fighting with the British in World War I. Since then, other tribes have moved in and have rented the land from the Nubian landlords. After Kenya became independent in 1963, the government enacted into legislation for Kibera to become an unauthorized settlement. Therefore, there are no basic services, schools, clinics, running water or bathrooms that are publicly provided by the government. Consequently, people are living in absolutely dire circumstances with little resources to recover.
While walking through Kibera, I looked at most everyone in the eye. Some offered a small smile, some said “Jambo”, and others quickly looked away. I couldn't help but think what it was that they were thinking about me as I walked through their neighborhood with two shoes that fit and matched. With a hood over my head to protect myself from the rain. With White skin that automatically set me apart offering reminders of those who had colonized their land. While sitting with my thoughts, I heard children singing and my heart warmed. They were singing, “God blessed us for bringing you to us” as we walked by and as they clapped and danced. I danced with them for a moment and they laughed.
As we continued to walk through the incredibly muddy streets, we visited a jewelry making shop. They welcomed us with sincerity and smiles.
The streets were so muddy as it had been raining all day. Consequently, our shoes were covered in mud and the feces that had been thrown in the streets. As we returned home to the Kifaru House, two men, who I believe were the security guards, took our shoes and began cleaning them. I didn’t ask them to clean poop off my shoes but they did it without asking for anything in return. The kitchen staff did not have our dinner ready at the scheduled time. They apologized profusely when dinner came out 20 minutes late and treated us like we were kings in queens.
All of these experiences left me feeling incredibly humbled. It reminds me of the story of Jesus washing his disciple’s feet: taking on the role of a servant. As I write, I continue to be absolutely overwhelmed by the humility and compassion that the people I met possess. I feel like they have been cheated and realize that life can be so unfair.
These people who have, physically speaking, so little, treated me like the most important person. I saw more genuine smiles today, than I have seen in a while. The sweet voices of the children and their playfulness despite the effects of intense poverty, showed amazing resiliency. The men who so graciously welcomed us into their jewelry shop offered me compassion. The men who cleaned our mud soaked shoes exhibited much humility. And our cooking staff showed incredible hospitality. These people are simply amazing. How can I ever offer to others, what these people have offered me?
---------------------------------------
There is an non-profit that is housed in the slum that offers micro loans to residents who would like to start a business. The non-profit loaned the jewelry making shop, mentioned earlier, a micro loan in which they have paid off and are now making profit. The jewelry makers create beautiful pieces from wood, stone, beads, and recycled animals bones. I'm still trying to find the best website to give out for people to place orders for the jewelry. Its a little more complicated than I thought but we'll figure it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment