
I have been having a really difficult time in response to Haiti. I know that this moves beyond only my reaction in that it has left the world speechless. But I can't come to terms with what happened, can't understand why this happened, or see what purpose it serves. Why, when in all his power, would God who has the ability to spare 200,000 peoples' lives, not do it?
It doesn't make sense, still makes me cry, and still leaves me feeling a bit hopeless.
In the midst of this, I had an email conversation with a dear friend about this. This is what she had to offer:
"...I guess I just don't try to understand it. Because, really, we never will. I will say one thing, out of tragedy comes the best stories of love and humanity and compassion. I mean, really, things that most cynical people (like myself, sad to say) would NEVER in a zillion years think of happening are taking place right this very second out of the goodness of people's hearts. I heard something on NPR about how the financial donations have been record breaking from the US and the rest of the world. Something so terrible and seemingly 'pointlessly tragic' really brings something beautiful out of people. Maybe that's God's point in all of this. Like that idea that God creates your testimony out of what you've overcome and the more you overcome with Him, the more incredible His work is shown to be?"
I love that, "The more you overcome with Him, the more incredible His work is shown to be."
I probably won't ever understand what's happened in Haiti and I still might be frustrated with God who has let it happen, but I know that right now beauty is shining through this mess. I know that people are calling out for help and others are responding. I'm so humbled by the response to this crisis and am even more humbled by the way in which the people who have experienced this crisis have responded.
God has a different perspective, one which I might not ever be privy to in this life. His ways are a whole lot bigger...
Job 4:5-7
"But now trouble comes to you, and you are discouraged; it strikes you, and you are dismayed. Should not your piety be your confidence and your blameless ways your hope? Consider now: Who, being innocent, has ever perished? Where were the upright ever destroyed?"
God has not turned his face away from Haiti, the innocent will never perish. It's all pretty hard to understand but I know that watching those who are overcoming is one of the greatest honors and most beautiful artwork I will ever see.
No comments:
Post a Comment