Monday, March 15, 2010







Thoughts on December 11th in Kenya

Day 10: Friday, December 11th, 2009

•Begin to build a house for a needy community member, selected by the community themselves
•Participate in buying of the baskets and financial training

I was fortunate today to be able to participate in building a house for a widow in the Kasigau community. Together, with the community, we hauled bricks and trekked up part of a mountain to fetch rocks for the house’s foundation. Others walked down the road and through bush to fetch sand. And others made bricks using the brick machine. While completing these laborious tasks, I couldn’t help but think of how creative this community must be in order to survive. They truly live off only the resources found around them, as all products used in the making of the house are within walking distance or else not utilized.

This idea is very different than the consumption and commercial practices in the U.S. Much of what is used in daily life is imported from other countries or other parts of the country. It is rare that we use products from our own backyards. Consequently, this has made me quite frivolous in my own consumption. I take a longer shower if I’ve had a long day. I eat a snack simply because it’s available. I use paper products more than I should. Why? Because I don’t have to see where the trash goes; I put it in my garbage on Thursday evenings and when I come home Friday, it’s gone.

Natural resources are of great significance in Africa and a large part of a great author, Wangari Maathai’s, discussion. Africa has many resources, many of which they themselves cannot use because of a lack of education or financial resource. Additionally, Africa has relied extensively on raw materials in their trade which little is paid. She speaks of an Ethiopian economist Fantu Cheru:

“Africa has failed to capitalize successfully on the natural resources that have always been so evident to the rich world. He points a finger at a number of problems: lack of political will, weak institutions, a shortage of skills, too many ties to former colonial powers, and inadequate infrastructure, transport, and communication networks.”

How this affects rural communities:

“… the money brought to rural areas through the sale of commodities such as cash crops is then siphoned back to the towns where the consumer goods are transported from, and eventually repatriated to the countries that produce them. Even most of the industries that are located in Kenya – tourism, and the growing of flowers, coffee, and tea – are largely owned by foreign companies.”


[side note: I had to look up the meaning of repatriated and although you probably know its meaning, I'll share it with you: to send back to one's own country]

The siphoning of money back to the cities and outside owners often leaves rural communities with little economic gain. The community in Kasigau has a solution to this issue. The women in the community have begun making kiondos (baskets) as a means to economic sustainability. Starting with a native plant, Sisal, and using resources from outside their own community only minimally, the women in the community are able to creatively generate income for their families (when interviewed, all of the women said that they would use the profits from the baskets to help pay for school fees for their children).

This evening we set aside baskets to bring home to sell for the women. Although, a slightly confusing practice, as business practices between our group and the community differed, the women set aside 100 baskets for our group to bring home and sell. Additionally, each group member bought several baskets during our stay.

I hope great things for the women of Kasigau. Their artistic and beautiful baskets are symbolic of their creativity and strong spirits.


Since this entry, I have been blown away at the willingness and compassion evident within people to help fulfill the needs of others. With the help of those willing to purchase kiondos in the US, over $2,000 of profit was created for these women.

*Mom, you are amazing. Thank you for all of your help in this. You've shown an incredible desire and ability to help create change on behalf of this community, thank you.

What this really means is that 68 children will be able to attend primary school for one term (3 months). Or 17 children will be able to attend school for a full year.

Pretty incredible. These women, for the most part on their own, have been able to create a uniquely, well-crafted, and desired product that can help build a future for their children. This future will include the fulfillment of needs, less sickness and disease, and further sustainability in many areas for this community. I find great joy in the fact that this product, this business, is something that these women have created themselves, and with a little help along the way, they, themselves are creating a better future for their families. With an education, these children will be able to read and can then get a higher paying job. One that will lead to greater quality of life, less fear, and more equity.

These women are exceptional. I hope and pray that this will create life change for these women and their families.


Video on Kasigau Basket Weavers - created by MaryBeth Caudle-Brooks, a student on the trip

No comments:

Post a Comment