Sunday, January 27, 2013

Being sad

In a past post, I referred to going through a difficult time in my family. This difficulty was dealing with the emotions and physical recovery of a miscarriage.

Grief. Whether it be losing a loved one too soon, losing an opportunity, losing the idea of something we’ve always hoped for. Whatever it is…it’s not fair. I’ve always tried to make people feel better about their personal sadness or try to rationalize why they may be going through it. Until it happened to me.

My parents lost a child before having me and my twin sister. With the sadness experienced by going through something like that, my mom asked me how I was doing after our miscarriage. Although some time had passed, the wound was still sore. I answered by talking about losing a baby and then quickly realized that my parents actually lost a baby, a fully formed, breathing and beautiful little two day old boy. They had his nursery ready, little onesies washed and ready to fit his perfect little body, a bed fitted with new and clean smelling sheets. And they didn’t get to bring him home. When I realized what I was saying, that I was grieving over the idea of having a baby, I felt guilty. I started to say things like, “I know it’s nothing like losing a baby, like you did with Michael…” My mom quickly stopped me and said “No, it’s the same. You lost the dream of having a baby. You thought about bringing your baby home and thought about what your family would be like”. It was then that I realized that grief is grief. Sadness is sadness. Whatever level of sadness we attach to someone’s pain is completely and utterly unfair. It was within my right to feel sad, without feeling any guilt that someone else’s pain is more painful than my own.

What I’ve learned through this is, I’m not going to rationalize why we were not given the opportunity to have that baby. I’m not going to say that we now have a beautiful baby boy, Emery Michael, and because we lost our first, we now have Emery. I’m not going to do that. I know that we live in a world that is fallen. Things happen that should never happen. And because of this, it is okay to be sad. That’s it. Sad. With no rationalization.

This is part of an email that I wrote to my dad several months after our miscarriage:

I think I experienced my first opportunity of healing the other day. I haven't been angry or as sad, like I was in the beginning, but it felt like some real healing. Let me preface this with saying that after experiencing this, I now would never say to anyone in their time of hurting, that maybe God will use this as an opportunity to help someone else in their time of need, but that is what happened. Because no matter what you believe, it never truly feels like God's good when you are in a hurtful situation that you don't understand. Despite that, a friend of mine has been trying to get pregnant for a long time and is feeling very discouraged and deeply sad about the situation; having a hard time rejoicing in any of God's goodness because this is clouding her mind. I felt that way for a while after we had our miscarriage. I didn't really know I was feeling that way while going through it, but I distinctly remember feeling feelings of happiness again, talking to people because I wanted to and not because I had to, praying again. I remember coming out of this "cloud". All this to say, being able to know just a glimpse of the pain that my friend was going through and express some of that to her, was, I think helpful for her and a little healing for me. It was nice to have some healing.

Grieve, and someday move into awesome periods of joy, but always be sad that something completely unfair and less than perfect happened.

My awesome period of joy...

4 comments:

  1. You spoke my heart, friend. Sad is sad is sad. Even after five years for me... the sadness still hits at the oddest moments. I love you and am so proud of you for sharing this. -Erin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm with Erin the sadness hits at the weirdest times. Its even worse for me since I have since lost the ability to have children, and most people give me a hard time for only having one. But, in all honesty I have 2. I still think about the child that we lost 9 years ago. Love you and for sharing. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to say thank you for writing this. We don't know each other, as I am an old friend of Kevin's. I saw your blog posted on his FB site and randomly decided to read it, not sure what I'd find. I was surprised to find a blog entry that echoed my own thoughts over the past couple of years. Oddly, I have felt strangely connected to you and your husband over the past year simply because your little guy Emery was born just a couple of weeks before our first child, Asher. Since we don't know each other, please don't think that I mean that in a stalker sort of way, but rather I found it interesting that 3 people that I knew from NMU all had their first children within a couple of months of each other (Sarah Bonsall, Chris Sullivan, & Kevin). Until I read this, however, I had no idea that you had suffered the same loss as we have. I am sorry for your loss, and like you rejoice in the gifts God has given us of both of our healthy baby boys! Thank you for posting your heart and story. After going through our own miscarriage, I often felt alone and like you felt that many thought it was no big deal. It was hard to go through as people often try to compare their own experiences of pain and suffering with you, and although I'm sure they mean well it is never helpful. I have since tried very hard to not compare my situations with those of others when they are in pain, but rather just to listen and provide a shoulder to cry on. I cannot say that I always succeed at that, but I try. Anyway, thank you for sharing and if you want to know more about who I am or want to read my own story, feel free to check out my blog (http://www.unmeasurablyblessed.blogspot.com/2012/05/raw.html). Finally, I just want to say that after reading this entry, I went and read the rest of your old entries. You write beautifully and your words capture people in the same way that Kevin's photos do...beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your comments ladies. I too appreciate your willingness to share and am so so sorry for your loss. Erin, I love you friend. More than words. Mary, I'm so sorry for your pain. Tracy, thanks so much for sharing and opening up to me. I in no way think it to be stalkerish :) Emery is truly my "awesome period of joy" yet still, nothing takes away that pain. Much love!

    ReplyDelete