Friday, September 16, 2011

would you consider this?




Almost two years ago, I had the privilege of meeting some beautiful people in a slum of Kenya called Kibera. People in the slum live in absolutely devastating circumstances with little opportunity to recover. One of the solutions to this problem is microfinancing, offering small loans to those who live in the slum to start a business and thus create enough income to move out of poverty, or at least fulfill some needs that were not previously fulfilled. One of those businesses is jewelry making. We have been taking orders from the jewelry makers (technically working with the man who started the bank and microfinancing business, Michael Nyangi, for about 1.5 years now.
*Click on Michael's name for a video that amnesty international made about life in the slum and what Michael is doing to change it

Please consider purchasing very reasonably priced jewelry to help change lives. All proceeds go back into the jewelry makers' business or goes home with them to their families as income.

This order will be placed by October 1st and will be received in time for Christmas gifts. I know it seems early but ordering now ensures that they will be here in time.

Please take the time to look through this online catalog.

You can then download and complete this order form and email it or any questions to KiberaJewelryInfo@gmail.com. Checks are payable to ANAW-USA.

Any of those of you who have already purchased the jewelry and would like to speak about its quality or process, please leave your comments!

3 comments:

  1. I purchased a few necklaces, earrings and a bracelet from Lindsay and they are really beautiful items. I LOVE the fact that these purchases are going straight to an amazing cause and it's all extremely well-made jewelry at such a low cost to those of us in a 1st world country. It's mind-blowing to think that several dollars from us can sustain so much life in a slum like Kibera.

    In regard to the "process" in purchasing: The selection and ordering process is quick and smooth. The design may differ slightly with the picture (clasp may be a different color or design on wood/bead/bone may differ) but it's only evidence to me that these items were handmade in a place that doesn't have stocking ability with a mega-chain or even a small craft-supply store around the corner. I embrace those jewelry discrepancies and wear them with pride. Delivery takes a while to arrive but the wait is worth it and I'm sure the jewelers agree.

    ~jen }i{

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those of you that live in the Chicago area, I have started to do home showings with pictures Lindsay took while in Kenya. The idea is to invite some friends and through the presentation, to help them see the poverty and devastation there. I bring a supply of the jewelry and handmade baskets that they can purchase that night. There is NO PRESSURE to buy. If they do, 100% of the sale goes back to the crafters.

    If you are interested in hosting a showing in your home or church, contact Lindsay and I will hook up with you. I LOVE giving these people an opportunity to better their lives through the sale of their beautiful craft.

    Would you consider this?
    deb (Linday's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen and mom for posting your comments and for you hard work in getting the word out!

    ReplyDelete